Friday 28 November 2008

River Oi


Following a path on the more quiet river bank I watched small boats and barges sailing upstream. An elderly boatman while punting his passengers on the river explained with big gestures the scenery to the young couple. I would have loved to be on a boat as well.
But instead I walked on, closely following the boats with my eyes.
I went up the forested hill to a small Buddhist temple, a viewpoint
which will be glorious in spring at the time of the cherry blossom and a little later in autumn when the maple leaves fully display various hues of red.



On my way down I noticed a younger boatman waiting for late customers as the afternoon progressed. I took a heart and spoke to the young man, but alas his English was restricted to "400 Yen" and when I asked him how far he would transport me down the river it took him a while to understand and point to a small landing place in the distance. Soon after I went punting softly with my Japanese Gondolier on the green waters of the river Oi.


No comments: