Friday 28 November 2008

Variations in tofu



While sailing softly on the river, lights shining through the woods aroused my curiosity. As the boatman noticed this he said "Restaurant", but I did not find out more, only by using finger-language, that I could walk to the restaurant from our landing place.
Like under a spell I followed a beautifully
paved path through the woods, guided by bamboo railings and white lanterns. The house was dimly lit as well. After I opened the sliding doors it took a while until the voices coming out of the kitchen noticed the stranger. At the time it was too late for lunch and too early for dinner but still I was welcome and chose a low table overlooking the river - a delightful setting.
Arashiyama is famous for the excellent quality of the tofu produced here with the clear waters of the district.
Therefore it was not surprising that my delicious meal consisted of a variety of tofu-based courses and was served as cold , deep-fried Tofu, and hot pot Yudofu. Even the dessert was Tofu ice cream.
Food in Japan is displayed to please the eye also. The appetizers were neatly carved and placed on a big dish with an ear of rice so prepared that the white grains popping out were eatable. The dishes were delightful too, a small maple leaf would hold a few grains of salt and the ice cream on shinning turquoise
glaze looked as if swimming on water.
The whole room showed a highly artistic hand - not surprisingly since the restaurant was owned by a well known calligrapher as I should learn later.
Every time another course was brought in, the young woman - I would rather call her maid than waitress - kneeling at the left side of my table tried to explain to me what I was going to eat. We had little language in common but managed quite well. I obviously admired a little quilted coaster, one of the three which came with every fresh cup of tea, and soon it was given to me as a present...
After I had paid and signed the visitor's book with a calligrapher's pen the maid followed me to the entrance, where my dusty shoes were placed in the right direction. She opened the door and we departed bowing deeply. While I walked up the winding path the maid stood at the door waving and bowing until I disappeared.
If it was not magic,
it was a very special experience...

No comments: