Friday 28 November 2008

Togetsu-kyo


I have a great notion for bridges and Togetsu-kyo is one of my favourites. The wooden bridge, 154 m in length spans a river which changes names from its upstream to the downstream side.
A romantic spot - since ancient times when an emperor commented " it is as if the moon crosses " the bridge is known as Crossing the Moon-Bridge. Like many wooden historic structures in Japan it has been burnt, destroyed and rebuilt in a traditional way many a time.
Coming from Tenryu-ji I passed ice-cream booths and Rickshaw-drivers offering their services. On the other side I wanted to take a a picture of Togetsu-kyo, the softly flowing river and lush green hills. But as usual, somebody else had the same idea. I was prepared to wait patiently but was misunderstood. In Japan everybody seems to take pictures of friends or family and so they have pity on a lonely traveler like myself and offer to take a picture. This time my photographer was very energetic. Using her hands instead of a common language she ordered me more to the right, then more to the left and tried a few snaps. Eventually she handed me the camera back with the words "looky, looky", and waited until she saw that I was satisfied. I thanked her, we both bowed and parted.

No comments: