Sunday 25 January 2009

Miyajima

Next day I made for Miyajima one of the offical three most scenic views of Japan.

What a change coming from peaceful Shimane to the hustle and bustle of the San'yo coast. Once facing the crowds on the sacred "Shrine Island" I realized how lucky I was to secure a room on the Island, indeed I found that this was only due to a mistake as single rooms are very rare at anytime. The Island is only small with about 2000 inhabitants and 20 hotels or guesthouses. Back in May I had already considered to look for a place on the mainland receiving many rejections of my request for bookings and so the confirmation of Ryoso Kawaguchi came as a surprise. On arrival I was asked where the second person was and then it was obvious that they had mistaken my booking for 1 person for 2 nights as for 2 persons for 2 nights.



I can only praise Ryoso Kawaguchi, there was no further problem, one futon and the yukata was removed from my spacious room and I was welcome to settle in a excellent guesthouse. The house was beautifully restored and furnished with great love and care for every little detail, the miniature pottery fish in a stone pond at the entrance, parts of roof tiles of the old house embedded into the modern floor, a branch of a tree as railing for the stairs and smaller branches covered with Japanese paper as lampshades in the dinning room, to mention but a few. I admired as well the many quilts and handcrafts by the owner of the inn.




The food cooked by the husband and chef was just mouthwatering delicious. As the oyster-season had started one of the many dishes was oysters in a homemade sauce covered with cheese and baked in foil. One morning at breakfast the young french couple at the next table asked to take a photo of my displayed breakfast - they were chewing toast and marmelade and did not dare to eat Japanese for breakfast...

No comments: