Tuesday 2 December 2008

Sunset


The sunset over Shinjiko was going to be the highlight of my visit to Matsue.

Late afternoon I set out for the shoreline where some photographers had already taken position. What a pleasure to watch children climbing on the big sculptures using great art playfully.
It was not one of the most spectacular sunsets, but splendid enough to make it very memorable, a poetic scene with the rays of the sinking sun dying the soft waves of the waters in ever changing hues of gold.
It lasted a long time and I strolled on along with many others until I stood opposite the tine island of Yomega-shima. I could not stop watching. On return to the Art Museum, I turned back for a last view, a last picture - when misfortune struck and I stumbled and fell over a floodlight barely pointing out of the pavement but just not very noticeable in the dim light. I hurt my knees badly, my clothes were unspoiled but my camera got a blow and didn't function properly thereafter.

It could have been worse but for the good Gods of Izumo providing me with a better destiny...

No comments: