Sunday 25 January 2009

Hoba Miso


I was warm and comfortable in Oyado Yoshinoya, and the food was excellent. On my first night I objected when I was given knife and fork for my dinner thinking, that it was expected that a westerner cannot use "hashi" properly, but soon found out that there is no other way to eat Hida steak, a beef raised in the Hida Highlands famous for its marbled meat and melt-in-the-mouth tenderness. As the steak was only one of the various dishes I could make use of chopsticks as well.
Breakfast the following morning was even more special. Along with the usual I was given HOBA MISO, thin slices of Hida beef with fermented soybean paste and mushrooms which is grilled on a leaf of a wild growing mountain magnolia. The girl from Okinawa, originally from the region who shared my table showed me how to cook the meat and also introduced me to the way how Japanese people eat breakfast. I followed her diligently but once it came to mix the raw egg with rice I was already full...

No comments: