Sunday 25 January 2009

Hida Express to Takayama


Next day on the train again, I am used to the convenience and comfort of the fast Shinkansen by now.
Transferring in Nagoya to the Wide View Hida Ltd Express which brings you in just over 2 hours to the high mountainous district of the same name in Gifu Prefecture, I went on the most scenic journey of my trip. Past Mino-ota the unique landscape is carved up by the rough waters of the Hida . The train follows the river, crosses over again and again, sometimes on level with the river, sometimes high above offering at every new turn another breathtaking view.
At times the wild water runs in a narrow winding bed enclosed by misty mountains, or widens up to a calm shallow river.

It was already dark when I reached Takayama in the northern Japanese Alps and considerably cooler than in Miyjima which I left in the morning.

No comments: