Tuesday 16 June 2009

Omiya 1


Like many visitors to Japan I was looking for a Kimono. While preparing for my trip I learned about a Kimonoshop in Omiya.
Back home, since I first contacted Kahori Ochi, I knew that this was the place to go. This may sound strange as one can find second hand Kimonos everywhere in Japan, mostly of good quality and at a reasonable price. But whoever met Kahori will understand how I was charmed by this young ambassador to Japanese culture. I made arrangements to see her when I would be in Tokyo and on my arrival I was invited to join her and an American friend on Sunday afternoon for a walk to Hikawa Shrine. I was much looking forward to this and ofcourse changed my plans for the day accordingly. By planning everything meticulously I was able to see a lot of Japan during my 15 days stay but everytime I altered my plans something special happened. Japan is a magical country indeed...
So straight from an afternoon stroll along the Ginza I travelled by Shinkansen to the city of Omiya just 25 km to the North of central Tokyo.
For once I had no problem to find Sakaeya from the stadion, the map was carefully drawn. But when I arrived with great hopes I was at first very puzzled as Kahori was not there. I was in good time to choose and try on the garments, only Mrs. Ochi, the mother, insisted that Kahori was not at all coming today. Keiko Ochi is a very lovable person but with her limited knowledge of English and my non-existing Japanese we were both at a loss. I took my time to choose a fine kimono for myself and my daughter and while my purchases were folded and the bill processed I was offered a cup of tea. I must have shown my disappointment as the granddaughter was asked over the phone to help and translate.

1 comment:

Kahori said...

Wow!! My mother !! Kahori