Saturday 28 March 2009

Nikko...


My trip to Nikko the following day was disappointing...
To begin with it was a rather dull day and choosing a Saturday in early November was a big mistake. Many Japanese families celebrate "shichi-go-san", by visiting famous Shrines with their children of the appropriate age to thank for their good health and pray for their safe future. The place was crowded...
As soon as I arrived at the station I was pushed into a bus not knowing were it would take me. Nikko, a World cultural heritage is certainly a beautiful and highly artistic ensemble of Shrines and Temples but I felt like when in the Louvre the hustle and bustle around the Mona Lisa spoils the pleasure to view the famous painting.
Different to Himeji Nikko did not seem to care for Non-Japanese visitors and unless you consulted your guidebook you were lost among all the Japanese signs. Although I had bought a combination ticket for the various Temples having been among the crowds at the Toshu-go Shrine I turned my back on the other celebrated sites - I learned later, that it was quiet higher up the hills but I certainly had enough.

No comments: