Sunday 30 November 2008

Dinner


Returning to Ryokan Terazuya there was just enough time for a relaxing Japanese bath, before a delicious dinner was served consisting of Sashimi, Miso soup, various meat -, fish- and shellfishdishes. During my stay I feasted on quite a variety of excellent local sea- and freshwater-produce such as eel, shijimi clams, crab, asari to name but a few.
Tonight I was joined for dinner by a group of girls from Hamada High School who had traveled from this small city further along the San'in coast to compete in a volleyball match. Akihiro Terazu, the innkeeper and chef urged the girls to try their English on me, before he sat down himself, smiling wisely and listening carefully. It did not take long before they overcame any shyness and soon we were engaged in a pleasant conversation. They were very nice girls, not at all boisterous and although they shared rooms next to mine I never noticed them. Next morning when I told them I would keep my fingers crossed for their match they were delighted.

Once the dinner was over I went out along the shores of Shinjiko, it was dark but Japan is a very safe place.

No comments: