Thursday 27 November 2008

How to learn languages

It puzzled me how young Yuhara-san welcomes everyone of his guests with a phrase in their native language. Being asked where he learnt Spanish, French, German as well as English, he replied modestly that he just picks up words occasionally.
I found out how it works after a while. With all his politeness he asked me for the favor of translating EXCUSE ME PLEASE into German. I then presented him with the equivalent expression written down, and read it out for him whereupon he transcribed the words diligently using his more familiar hiragana. After a few corrections we were both satisfied. I would not be surprised if from now on he amazes every German guest with a perfect ENTSCHULDIGEN SIE BITTE.

This is a fine example, although many Japanese are not as fluent in English as we Westerners they try hard to improve their skill with remarkable success

No comments: